Sunday, March 23, 2008

nice buns


I could spend forever and ever looking at Web sites about books. I Googled "book blog" and got as far as bookslut.com, which led me to jezebel.com, where I watched a few episodes of "Pot Psychology," which cracked me up, and read comments about 1936's "Live Alone and Like It" from at least 15 girls I'd love to be friends with (who knew floordrobes were so common?). So that's two Web sites in about three hours, but I did come to one conclusion:

The question of trashiness says something about society. As Elizabeth Bachner points out in an article on bookslut.com, "Western culture has largely developed around the tension between revulsion and fascination, between being grossed out and turned on." She says it's like eating a hamburger. Some people have to pretend the bloody cow never existed in order to eat it, while others can visualize hanging cow carcasses and still fully enjoy their ground-beef patty on a bun.

After a few quick clicks and superficial viewing of other book blogs, I've come to the conclusion that some of them are pretty boring. I hope to be not boring, but then again, I may never have an audience, and that's OK, too. Boring book blogs are just something I'll have to accept. Like how some book people are really nice and say "excuse me," while others don't mind sticking their butt in your sideways face.

No comments: