Thursday, May 14, 2009

non-spoiler requiem tragicus

So I can't spoil for anyone "And the Ass Saw the Angel." Because I won't even be spoiling it for myself, although part of the reason I'm not going to be finishing this book is because I can see where it's going. I've read enough to not have to read any more. I wanted to like this book, and I don't dislike it, but the reading of it is far too draining. I don't have the time to read books for hours per sitting, so when a book is this hard to get into, I must abandon the mission. These pages require the kind of energy I can't maintain, because the author hasn't made it easy enough for me to care. I can get into the story after reading for about 20 or 30 minutes, but by then it's time to get off the train. And I won't be able to work up that enthusiasm quickly enough in the next sitting to make this a book worth reading. I apologize to you, Mr. Cave, and to you, my brother Daniel. But I'm going to switch gears and pick up something a little more accessible.

I picked up a new bagful of books from The Strand last week. Maybe I'll give Doris Lessing a shot, or "My Friend Leonard." Too many choices! This is why I need to pick up the reading pace.

No comments: