Sunday, April 6, 2008

apologies to myself

I've been preoccupied this week with other people's blogs and my own school drama, so I've read only about three pages of "The Witch of Portobello." It's not that the book hasn't grabbed me, it's that I haven't given it the opportunity. I tried to start it twice but at such late hours that I fell asleep. Of course, I've managed to read a million blog posts. But that has been educational, as well, and it's prompted me to start some lists.

Books That Consistently Catch Hell in the Blogosphere

1. "The Prophet"

2. "Atlas Shrugged"

3. "The Da Vinci Code"

4. "Bridges of Madison County"

Books That Divide the Literary World

1. "Moby Dick"

2. "The Corrections"

3. "Wuthering Heights"

4. Anything recommended by Oprah. I've deduced that her modern recommendations are trite, but her classics are commendable.

5. "Catcher in the Rye"

Books I'm Glad People Say are Overrated

1. "A Tale of Two Cities"

2. "The Great Gatsby"

3. U2. I know that's a band, but I really hate Bono, and somebody finally agreed with me.

Books That are Consistently Praised

1. "Anna Karenina"

Authors I Should Probably Not Admit I Haven't Read

1. John Updike

2. Henry James

3. Alexander Pushkin

I know one book does not constitute a "list," but I'm planning to add to these, so don't fret.

I saw "Atlas Shrugged" at the Goodwill today, and was tempted to buy it, but the wave of bookshelf intrigue that has been the talk of the book world this week stopped me. I resolved to one day borrow it from a library. It was only 99 cents, but since it hasn't come highly recommended, I passed. I could not, however, pass the first six "Anne" books for 59 cents each. I also picked up a small and colorful guide to the history of shoes, and "House of Seven Gables" by Hawthorne. Speaking of him, "The Scarlet Letter" inspired an excellent quote by New York Times Paper Cuts blog reader Scott Cadwell:

It is the literary equivalent of eating dry toast with no water.


Lovely. Although I think I sort of liked that book. It always makes me think of the word "facade" in reference to a building -- thank you, high-school English class, for teaching me vocabulary words I never use in real life. Except "ludicrous," but I learned that in middle school, in a class where I sat behind a girl who called me "Gin and Juice" before I knew what it meant.

Also at the Goodwill, I recently picked up "Brave New World," "Bias," "Emma" and "Bright Angel Time."

I also learned a cool word in a crossword puzzle today.

Feuilleton
=
    1. The part of a European newspaper devoted to light fiction, reviews, and articles of general entertainment.
    2. An article appearing in such a section.
    3. A novel published in installments.
    4. A light, popular work of fiction.
    1. A novel published in installments.
    2. A light, popular work of fiction.
  1. A short literary essay or sketch.

No comments: