Sunday, May 18, 2008

book to not crack

What a stark contrast "Rebecca" is to a book I happened to read the first 30 pages of the other day: Nicholas Sparks' "At First Sight." I had forgotten to bring "Rebecca" with me to work, but my Harry Potter-loving coworker had left this behind. Now, I used to work in a bookstore, and I remember seeing this author's works, with their inviting covers and immense popularity. Intrigued, I opened it up and began to read. The horror, the horror! It was the most awful nonsense I ever saw. Every other sentence a cliche, so predictable I probably read those 30 pages in under 10 minutes. It was as easy to read as it is to watch a sitcom, only not nearly as entertaining. Mindless drivel. Like watching an endless string of commercials. No literary value at all, just something he can easily knock out in a few weeks because he's trained himself to write with a formula, just as I trained myself to write a news story. But you can't do that with books and expect to be remembered. Sure, his name will be on bestseller-list records, and they'll continue to make decent movies out of the relatively relatable stories, but no one should ever consider this madness seriously as good writing. It's laughable, and I felt contaminated for even touching the thing.

No comments: