Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"The mere habit of learning to love is the thing" -- JA


Today I said goodbye to "The Jane Austen Book Club." It was a pretty good read, and it did make me want to crack open an Austen. But it won't make the ranks of favorites. I liked it enough to send it to Angie, who is a huge Jane Austen fan. But I haven't read one since high school, so I skipped over the "Response" section at the back. Great for English majors who like to analyze literature. I think I'd enjoy it if I'd read them recently. It's like "Jane Austen's family and friends comment on 'Mansfield Park,' opinions collected and recorded by Austen herself."

As the book closed, I could see more how it might make an OK movie. More things began to happen in the present, and somehow they attributed their success to Jane Austen: "We let Austen into our lives, and now we were all either married or dating." I guess it makes sense in that "success" to Austen's characters was love and marriage, but in the end all I can say is that this was a cute little novel. Not profound, but cute. Next I need to switch to something darker. Maybe "Rosemary's Baby." I can only take so much cuteness (they refurbished a Magic 8 Ball into an Ask Austen Ball -- need I say more?).

No comments: